Thursday 30 June 2011

David Bowie in pencil


I love David Bowie so I decided to draw him. I looked though some photographs of him and this one caught my eye, I really liked his expression and how different his face is to everyone else's, he would never blend into a crowd.                                                                                          

  
I started by sketching the outlines and features using a B2 pencil, once i was satisfied with the proportions I started building up the tone on his face using a B pencil, once that was completed I started filling in and shading the the hair with the same pencil.

As you can see I then moved onto drawing and filling in the scarf, which I had to measure out in sections using a B6 pencil for depth.
 Hope you all like it.  




3 comments:

  1. If you had the opportunity to illustrate anything at all what would it be?
    What original illustration project could you come up with?
    You could use Bowie for inspiration I don't know perhaps illustrate your favourite lyrics of his without recourse to pictures of Bowie and/or popstars from photos...
    Bowie used a cup-up technique to write his lyrics based on William Burrough's writing technique? Could you use that in some way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the drawing in the scarf! Beautifully done. Perhaps the texture/tooth of your paper is a bit rough for the detail and nuance required in the face?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the cup-up technique in dance before, I think that's a great idea, I'll give that a go.
    Thanks I'm glad you like it.
    Yes I agree the paper is quite course resulting in the shading looking grainy which I didn't realise until I got into the drawing, different paper next time :)

    ReplyDelete